Saturday, June 4, 2011

Confessions of a Conflicted Chick

Okay.  I have a confession to make.  I don't like my blue chair from On Day, One Chair Reveal.  I never did.  But since it was a part of a one day challenge, I felt the obligation to post it.  So, if I didn't like it you would think that it would have stopped right there.  But no, I didn't.  I posted the reveal of this blue chair on several linky parties.  I ask myself now, "Why?  Why did you do that if you didn't even like the chair?"  The answer is quite simply....because I didn't have anything else to post that week and since I was going out of town, I decided to make it the item that I posted.  At this point, I probably need to back up and explain why I had to post something that week....

When I started blogging and got sucked into the mantra of building a blog and posting on linky parties, I decided that I would attempt to have something to post every week.  It's wasn't a bad decision, just one that would, as I have found, force me to post work of which I wasn't particularly in love with.  Enter......The Feature!

Featured!
 What is a Feature?  Well, for those of you who don't know about this little tidbit, a Feature is when a blogger picks up your linky party post as one of their favorites and highlights them on their blogs.  It's quite an honor and is absolutely the biggest compliment when they do this.  How does this relate to my blue chair?  My blue chair has been featured three times!  Yep, three times....meaning three different blogs!  What a huge compliment, right?! (You can click on any of the three images of the blog buttons in this post to see the features.) Funny thing is, it secretly has bothered me.  Isn't that crazy?!  It bothers me that I am getting so many accolades for a project that I don't personally love.  Am I allowed to admit these things?  I don't know, but I am.  I am just putting it out there because I need too. Why do I need to?  I don't know that either.  Yep, crazy chick here.

This is not to say that I am not completely thrilled that I have been featured either.  Twisted I know.  I have posted on my Facebook page exclamation filled announcements that the chair was featured, told my family members and added the coveted "Featured" buttons to the bottom of the post.  I really really appreciate that I was featured, just secretly kinda conflicted.  Maybe I just don't know how to take a compliment.  I have been accused of that in the past.

Featured!
Gail calls it "Caught"
Life is funny that way.  Sometimes you work your fingers to the bone and get no recognition.  Sometimes you just throw something out into the wind and it catches and multiplies.  There are no guarantees, no absolutes.  No perfect way of getting there.   We are all just going through our days, trying our best and hoping that somehow it all matters.  Along that path, sometimes someone notices your hard work and says something, whether a simple comment, gesture or for gosh darn sakes a pretty cool Feature or award!  

Featured!

So I want to send out a big HUGE Thank YOU to these three blogs for recognizing my work: Debbiedoos Blogging and Blabbing, My Re-Purposed Life and Sisters of the Wild West.   After all, like my mother use to say, "It's better than a poke in the eye with a carrot!" 

Get out today and make it happen....throw something into the wind and see what comes back your way.  What do you got to lose?!  You might just get a feature of your own!
-The End-

4 comments:

tofubeast said...

I think it is an awesome piece. Just because you may not like it, doesn't mean others will feel the same way. You put that out there for others to see and they loved it and wanted to feature it. The chair is not a poor reflection on you or your work. It just didn't end up being your cup of tea! Take the compliments! :)

MJ said...

Lesley I have the same problem sometimes. I feel that I need to blog everyday unless it is a reveal that Ive done I let it simmer for a day or 2.

I have to tell you that I really LOVE the chair! Sometimes we arent happy with our creations and then when someone else likes it, we think REALLY?

But it just goes to show your creativity and that even tho you arent satisfied with it, others loved it enough to feature it.

Great job with the fabric...its so cheerful and yet modern too. Very nice.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, see you soon!

MJ
Lucky 7 Design

Vicky said...

Lesley...I SOOOOOO get this.....I completely do!

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

It's an odd thing--something we don't love, or that really didn't take that much time or effort--gets all the kudos, and something we slave over disappears into the ether! You have a good attitude about it. Glad you share your projects to inspire others' creativity!
THANK YOU for your kind comment on my 'chocolate' coffee table!