Friday, June 3, 2011

It's the Little things....The Surprises That Sweeten Our Days

I awoke this morning, not really knowing what the day was going to hold as it relates to my blog. Working so hard on my Hall Tree Transformation, I hadn't really planned anything else this week.  Plus, I am seriously tired from the physical labor of it all.  If you are a blogger, you understand that thinking about the next blog post can sometimes be a little daunting, especially on the heels of a large project.  I have found that somehow, the idea comes to me like a little angel. 

As I am sifting through the many wonderful comments about my Hall Tree, in the back of mind I am thinking, "What to write today."  I walk out back looking around at my garden and potted plants making sure that all is well.  Living in South Florida in the warmer months means watering more often or risk losing plants.  This can happen very quickly and I find myself checking in visually at least once a day.   As I walk around the backyard, I get super excited to see that my white frangipani Tree is starting to produced it's once-a-year coveted blooms!  I love this tree.  My kids gave it to me 9 years ago for Mother's Day and I dug it up from the last home and transferred it here.  I also have a pink frangipani that has been in bloom for about two weeks, but I especially love the white, velvety petals of the white.  I think to myself, "What a nice surprise today." 

I turn around and head back in when something out of the corner of my eye catches me.  I couldn't believe it!  The exotic hibiscus that I thought was never going to bloom for me again had produced a fabulous flower!  I have other hibiscus throughout my backyard, but this one is a special hybrid that I bought direct from a guy who scientifically creates blends in his own backyard nursery.  I think, "Wow, another surprise.  I must get outdoors this weekend and enjoy this."

So I venture back inside for my second cup of coffee before having to jump in the car to drop kids at school.  I sit down to write this blog post.  I get interrupted by my friend, Helena, knocking on the door bringing me a bag of the most beautiful mangoes!  She knows how much I love them and the first weeks in June are when mangoes are ripe and ready to pick and eat.  I got goosebumps.  I mean, come on people, another surprise?!  Wow.  Such a totally cool morning I am having over here.....
I guess I could have turned on the television today and become annoyed by whatever news is being reported.  I guess I could have just sat inside stewing over what to write, instead of simply walking around my backyard.  But, I would have never had these moments....these tiny moments when nothing really matters but that my frangipani and hibiscus plants came to surprise me this morning.  Top it off with a neat, thoughtful gift from nature brought to me by someone special too.  You know what?  It's the little things.....it's the little surprises that sweeten our days.....  Get out there and create a time for the special little surprises to happen to you too.  I've got some mangoes to enjoy.....maybe I will make salsa......

-The End-

Linking this project to:

5 comments:

tofubeast said...

I have been eying the two huge mango trees near us. Those neighbors were happy to hear we loved mangoes, but will they remember our convo from several months ago. Need to start walking around with the stroller once healthy! There is NOTHING like a mango right off the tree. Nothing at the stores can compare.

Raspberry Hill Crafts said...

Beautiful flowers, beautiful pics and a really good blog post.

Unknown said...

So pretty! I can almost smell the flowers through your blog. Thanks for your sweet comments about my metal planter light. I love your blog.

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Living in Scotland, it is wonderful to hear about the exotic plants which grow in your garden! Sounds fantastic!
Liz

Debbie--http://refreshrestyle.com/ said...

What wonderful start to your day! Hope you have a great weekend!
Debbie