Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Thrifting, Trash Picking and Mini Project Plans

The loot from my day out thrifting....

My sister's new
afghan

Today, my new Entertainment Cabinet, which I told you about a few days ago, gets delivered.  Tomorrow or the next day, the painters arrive to get going on the Master Bedroom.  Yesterday, I spent the day grazing like a cow at an antiques mall, a few thrift stores and did a drive-by on a few trash piles along the way.  I wanted to pick up a few items that could provide mini-projects for me this week while the heavy lifting was being done by others.  Plus, I have found that Mondays at my local Goodwill are the best days. I think it might be because people clear out on the weekend and dump. By Monday, the store has stocked those items.

I am pretty smitten with my take. Quite the plethora of goods.  I got two sets of mint condition coasters ($1 a set), a bag full of vintage sheets ($2 per sheet), a Ballards-style clock ($5), a little ceramic owl (50 cents), a mini-bird lamp ($3), a basket for spa items in my new bath ($10), a little storage cabinet ($3), a tiny black iron pineapple trivet ($3), a white and rusty planter (roadside free), and a super neat glassless french window frame with six panes (roadside free), and a mint condition green afghan that I am giving to my sister.  She is just now finding this fact out.  Fun surprising her here.


quick snap shot
sorry

As soon as I got my loot home, I picked two of the items that I am very excited about, the pineapple trivet and the little ceramic owl.  You see, I have been looking for something metal, black and tropical to hang above the four tropical fruit prints that hang over my Pineapple Table.  Hello?!  Could it be more perfect?!!  Within 15 minutes, I am hanging my new trivet and disguising the nail head with a little dab of black craft paint.

Then I placed the little owl on my rolling cart covered in newspaper and sprayed down the owl with Valspar's White Spray Paint in Satin White. 
 
Ahh......nice to get a couple of tiny little projects done.  This little wise friend will most likely be roosting somewhere watching out in the Master Bedroom.  I don't know what my sudden fascination is with owls.  Many of you might remember my little 'ole Woodsy the Owl.  He is still hanging out in my garden, that smart little feathered friend.

I am going to work on a few more of the projects this week, and post them for you to see.  I don't know yet what I will do with the six pane french style window frame or the clock.  The possibilities are endless.  What do you think I should do with the window frame? Please share.

I want to completely redo the little storage box.  I am probably going to use some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint on this project.
I am thinking of using the vintage sheets as window treatments in my studio.  Depending on what happens with the pale yellow wall color in the master, I might use one of the sheets to recover the cushions on a slumpy chair that I have moved into the bedroom. 
The basket is the only thing that I picked up at the antiques mall.  Which kinda explains why I spent the most on it. A whopping 10 dollars!  I intend on using it to hold my specialty bath items next to my spa tub when the master bathroom project is complete.

As the week progresses, I will update you on the delivery, the painting of the master bedroom and bath as well as revealing all these little projects as they are completed.  Who knows, maybe more projects will emerge.  You just never know.  When I am open to anything, funny things happen.

-The End-

8 comments:

Lisa said...

YAY...I get a new blankie! Love your new undertaking, sista!!!!!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Wow,I love your "loot" as well! What amazing finds... especially that window frame and the ballard style clock. The frame would look lovely as a mirror or a table... endless possibilities.And the owl looks sooo cute now painted white. Thanks for sharing! Have a lovely day! Would love you to visit me somemtime.~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Deneen@dreaming-n-color said...

Lesley I got the same basket! Is yours a Vermont basket? Isn't it great!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Lovely project plans and amazing finds! Nice basket too !! Thanks a bunch for your sweet comment on my blog:)
Have a great week!

Sanghamitra.

Kelly said...

Wow, you got some great stuff!


Kelly

Bea said...

I was curious about the basket too. If it is a Longaberger or one made similarly you would probably have had to pay more than $10 just for the wooden insert. Love your finds!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Looks like a successful junking day! As for the window, I've got four of my own leaning against the garage waiting for some attention. Just one more thing on my "will it ever get done" list. :@

Dumpster Dude said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure.